Monday, September 8, 2008

Voting and Commitment Issues

For anyone who hasn't started the Living Biblically book...you should. I am really enjoying it.

Question about the Poll on the side of the blog...is there some sort of range. I was confused about which was the best and which was the worst. Or is it just supposed to be different various opinions you could have about a book in no particular order. It doesn't really matter either way, but I was just curious.

So I am currently in the middle of four books that I am really enjoying. And I have never been one of those people. I usually (before a few months ago) always read one book cover to cover before delving into a new one. And I teased my husband for this funny habit he has of reading numerous books at the same time; I always thought that he must not really like the book he started first if he wants to read a different one. Commitment issues. But now I am the culprit. I have to admit it makes me feel a little chaotic and sometimes overwhelmed when I can't decide which one to read (the approaching book club helps with my decision.) Sometimes it makes me feel intellectual, like wow look at me I read so much that I must read numerous book simultaneously. How do you guys feel about the whole multiple books thing? I haven't decided if I am going to keep the habit going as I come to the end of my books in the next week or two.

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I think it's just supposed to be your opinion. I did try to change it, so you could pick more than one answer, but you can't if someone has already voted.

I was both entertained, and thought it was very interesting.

Amander said...

Interesting topic Meredith. It's something I have come across recently as well. I usually like to read one book at a time, but every now and then I get quite a few more going.

Sometimes it's because I had one at work, have the BC one, borrowed one from a friend, or just bought a "must read". Or sometimes it's because I just decide I am not feeling a particular mood of a book I am reading, so I get another one out before I go to bed (when I do 99% of my reading).

While I can read several books at once, I usually find myself enjoying one or two of them much more than the others, and I end up finishing those first.

Also, sometimes I like having just two books going at the same time because then I always have a choice of what mood I'm in (usually they are very different types of books).

Side note: I think the poll is just opinion, not really a scale. And Kristina, I don't really mind that people only have one option, because then you are forced to decide what your prevailing opinion of the book is.

Kristina P. said...

I don't really read enough, honestly, to have this issue, but I do like to start and finish a book before starting a new one.

I guess I like having the option to pick more than one, as maybe the choices listed don't completely sum up my feeling on the book. Maybe we can have a poll about the polls! :)

Nick and Lexie said...

Okay, so I voted twice. I'm a cheater. Because I too thought it was entertaining and interesting. I just did it from two different computers.

I have been reading two books at the same time lately also! It's because I got a little too excited at the library and checked out a bunch and so I am trying to get them read. I like reading two, but I definitely don't think I could do more than that.