Monday, October 13, 2008

Complications and a Challenge

First of all, thanks to everyone that came to the lovely discussion on Friday. For those of you who did not make it, Carly, Amanda, Anne, Mary, Kristina, Caitlin and I discussed various ethical issues for several hours. We analyzed when coworkers have questionable ethics, how long do you keep someone alive for, should doctors specialize to the extreme, and of course, gangs in Harlem.

On a different note...

Carly and I went outlet shopping on Saturday and to keep a long story short let us just say that nothing quite fit the way I wanted it to. Carly has been participating in the UVU Walktober and she loves it. Carly is competing against everyone at UVU to see who can walk the most in the month of October. I need that same kind of motivation. My husband and I keep setting goals and then neither of us keep to them.
So, I propose that we do a Book Club Walkathon. It would require that everyone buy a pedometer, but Carly says that they only cost 7-12 bucks at Target. We would have to pick a start date and a stop date. I am thinking this Friday through next book club. Then we also have to come up with a prize. Pride of winning is a pretty good prize, but I think a bigger one would motivate us more. Anyone got a rich relative who is willing to donate to the cause? I am hoping that it will be so much fun that we will want to do it every month.
Also Carly says there is a website that converts other forms of exercise into steps. So if you like to go to the gym, it still counts.
What do you think? Anyone want to challenge me? (Please)

9 comments:

Nick and Lexie said...

Okay, so I'm not there, but I am always up for something that forces me to exercise. Luckily, I already have a pedometer. So sign me up.

Carly said...

I am in too. Here is the website to convert your steps: http://www.walk4life.com/customerservice/forms_activityconverter.aspx . I think we should report our total steps weekly so that we can kind of gauge how we are doing comparatively.

Amander said...

I'm not really a big fan of competition, but a challenge for sure!

I am in. I have a pedometer already too.

Great idea Meredith! (Also, awesome hosting on Friday - it was so much fun!)

Meredith said...

Great! So far it looks like I am the only one who has to buy a pedometer.
I know Anne wants to do the Walkathon too, but I am not sure she has figured out how to post on blogs...Yes she is almost a doctor, but blogs are tough.

Kristan said...

I don't have a pedometer either, but I'm all for buying one! Great idea. Maybe I'll actually give up my coveted G-lot sticker and walk to school . . . oh wait, probably not.

Sad I missed Friday, but can't wait to see you all in November.

Meredith said...

I am so excited about this. I bought a pedometer on Monday and I am loving it. Except I have learned that I do not walk enough in a day without doing some other form of exercise...hence the fact that I am out of shape.

So Friday will be our first day.

Question: Do we email people who don't check the book club blog very often?

Anne B. said...

Oh my gosh I figured it out! Woo hoo! I am totally in for the vicious walktober competition. Just kidding, it doesn't have to be vicious, but you guys are going down.
Are we keeping track of steps or distance? You guys will get a headstart because I can't make it to Target until the weekend but like the Red Sox, I will attempt to come from behind.

Amander said...

Meredith, sorry I didn't answer your question before.

You can email people who don't check the blog often, but I am not going to do it. One reason the blog is so great is now I don't get a ton of emails every month asking for BC information. I told everyone to check it for updates regularly - so hopefully they are!

Adam and Bri said...

I'm totally late to the party, but I want you all to know I have a pedometer, too. I walked 5,189 steps yesterday!

Pathetic, I know. But I'm excited nonetheless.